Friday, March 11, 2016

Downton Downer {Spoiler Alert}

The series finale of Downton Abbey had me in tears.  Happy tears, at first.  

A kind, loving, wealthy husband for Edith.

A child for Anna and Bates.

Personal growth and a growing family with her new husband for Mary.

All good, beautiful things.

But that night as I lay in bed, I couldn't fall asleep.  How nice to have a series finale that gave these characters, who have all suffered greatly at times, their happy endings.  

Would we have loved the finale as much if they hadn't?  Or would we have felt discontent, robbed of something?

I thought of my dearest friend who prays faithfully to meet her husband.  I thought of a different friend who suffered multiple miscarriages.  Will they get the ending we're all hoping for?

Maybe yes, maybe no.  The future is frustratingly unforeseeable.  Is that why we enjoy television and movies so much?  Because through them, we can experience the finales that we all long for?

No comments:

Post a Comment